Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010

My Family
RH Delaney III, Me, Logan Thomas Delaney and Buddy Delaney

This picture was taken at my son's wedding.  RH and I are very close, he was born on my 30th birthday.  I always say that I had no problems with turning 30 - I was asleep all that day.  When I woke up I was 30 and a Mother.  I really didn't think that was such a bad deal!
Logan will be a Junior at the University of South Carolina - College Baseball World Series CHAMPIONS - but that's for another blog.  Logan is my baby - though he really hates it when I say that.  Mom's you know though . . . once your baby . . . 

Buddy and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary in October.  Holy Smoke!  Really?  30 years?  We met on a blind date while students at USC.  And "they" said it would never last.  My husband runs his family business - he is 3rd generation to operate Best Mattress Company.  They have been handcrafting the "best" mattresses since 1928.  Of course, he isn't that old!!!  Funny thing  - there is still one employee working there that has been a part of the Best Mattress family since Buddy was a baby.  Now THAT'S longevity!

I have always loved make up, skincare, and stuff like that.  I'm a real girly girl and was just born that way.  That's not to say that Aesthetics is a "girly" thing now.  Don't misunderstand!  Skin care is for everyone that has skin.  The neat thing for me has been the number of men that have become clients.  I have been delighted with that!  Men have finally realized that they can actually take care of themselves better than ever before.  Some even actually enjoy regular manicures and even pedicures!

Anyway . . . I want to blog about my experiences in starting up a new business in this BRUTAL economic time!  I opened up in May of this year, not thinking of upcoming slow industry wide summer months that would nearly cause me to chew my own nails to bleeding nubs. 
Thank goodness for my supportative friends, Sally and Brenda!  They are the co-owners of SABRE HAIR ART and my landlords.  God blessed me with them as friends many, many years ago.  Sally actually was the one that encouraged me many years ago to persue my Aesthetics License.  After 20 years with AVON PRODUCTS INC and then 5 years with Dr. Kelly Scott Hynes at 20!20 Vision, I decided to jump in with both feet.  I attended Esthetics International, took South Carolina State Boards, got my license and hung out my shingle.

This journey has been FAB U LOUS!

Even with the slow summer months God has blessed me and my business in a mighty and humbling way!  No . . . I haven't given myself even one paycheck.
No . . . I haven't been able to go buy myself that new car I really, really want!
But yes!   I have been able to pay my rent, ON TIME, every single month AND I am able to purchase the necessary items I need for the business AND pay my two credit card bills!

THANK YOU, LORD!

I am blessed with wonderful friends - old and new - that have helped me with business cards, printed/professional service menus, a website, a facebook page and - - - best of all - - - client referrals.  Kim Fowler of Fowler Creative Online worked so hard on getting me all up online (including this blog).  I highly recommend her to anyone needing services such as she provides.  Mark Pointer designed my business logo and provided me with all my printed materials. 

Of couse my clients . . . oh boy!  They have been the BEST!  They have come from Sabre, from THE PERFECT 10 (the nail salon at Sabre), from friends, and most importantly, from client recommendations.  Thank you to each and every one!

Now . . . if everyone that says they are coming "when school starts" actually comes, I'll be so busy I won't hardly be able to keep up.  I'm looking forward to THAT day!

I'll post from time to time  on this blog  things that are happening in my business, in my personal life.  If I think it is interesting I'll blog about it.  I'll probably blog about things that are only interesting to me.  If you are reading along, just skip boring things.  I know I won't be interesting all the time . . . . see . . . I'm beginning to even bore myself here.

OK . . . that's about all . . . Just a day in the life . . .

God bless you today!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to hear how you got started in your business. Great success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Keep reading to hear of my progress.

    ReplyDelete

  Spa 131  news & updates January 2021  | Monthly Specials Be sure to check our on-line menu to see our specials each month. January 202...