Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thoughts on my business - - -

00172629

I’m 5 months old.  Never thought I would already be in a position of expansion, change of direction, or personal conflict so early in the game.  Nothing bad, mind  you, but lots of thoughts pinging around in my pea brain.  I was approached last night with the possibility of change involving a physician.  This change would allow me to offer medical procedures like Botox injections, fillers, lasers, and other physician assisted treatments.  Yes, this is something I have thoknocking on doorught about.  Since I have a medical background and am comfortable in a medical setting, this wouldn’t be such a stretch.  Hum . . . what do you think, my peeps?  Would anyone want to receive these services in my little baby, fledgling practice?  Too soon?  Maybe.  I don’t know.

In previous post,  you have read about my intention to add massage services.  The “right” massage therapist hasn’t knocked at my door . . . yet.   It would so completely fabulous to be able to offer full spa packages.  Imagine having an amazing deep cleansing and refreshing facial, de-toxing body wrap, relaxing full body massage, and end with delicious mani/pedi.  Right now packages are incomplete without massage, and, boy!  This girl LOVES a massage herself!

Adding massage therapy means a lot of changes.  Moving, for one.  Not necessarily to a different geographic location (hopefully), but into a different location within SABRE.  This wonderful place houses the master stylists, Sally, Brenda (thus SaBre), Joy, Jenny, Darlene and Andrea.  They are all so talented and wonderful women, to boot!  THE PERFECT 10 consists of probably the best nail artist in the State, Terry, as well as Mary and Pat.  I added m.d. Skin to the mix in May of this year.  So, together we offer hair services, nail services and skincare.  See a glaring omission?  Massage.  Massage is the only thing missing from full service.  Oh . . . hum!  Timing is everything.  Right now, Sabre is working on repair of the nail salon - Ceiling melt down several months ago.The nail girls have been working up front within the salon.  This has been a kind of good change.  It seems to have added a certain spark of electricity. 

So . . . since this move of the nail business from the back to the front, I have been approached about moving my practice from the center of the building to the 00213535 very back room.  This MIGHT be a good thing.  The room is much bigger and I could add a shower for wet treatments.  It also means more money for room improvements.  I’m only 5 months old.  There isn’t any money (yet) for doing these things.  I could come up with it, but . . . is it the right time to do this? 

THE PERFECT TEN is weighing their options, too.  Stay where they are?  Go back where they were?  Changes.  Changes.  Changes. 

If I add massage therapy, it would require room sharing or more build out.  Again, spending more money.  It would increase business, but I’m still building my own portion with skincare.  Unless a therapist comes with clientele I have to consider could m.d. Skin support a brand new person just starting out?  Of course, this missing massage therapist would have to be a very special individual in order to join this team.  Talented?  Sure.  But a good mix to us is vital.  No drama wanted here.  Just superior ability, high integrity, respectful of other business within our walls, and over all fabulous!  Not too much to ask.  Right?  Am I dreaming?  Maybe, but if one doesn’t dream, and dream big (!), well . . . what’s the point?

In addition, there is opportunity to go into partnership within an existing medical practice.  I tell you about this only because the opportunity exist.  I really am not even entertaining the idea.  It’s just another piece of the story.

Conflicts!  I hate conflicts!  Why can’t we all just get along and support/encourage one another?  When I started m.d. Skin I had a Facebook Fan page for the business.  I was advised to shut down the fan page and create a Facebook page just for m.d. Skin.  I did that,  as well as a terrific website (http://www.themdskin.com), and I am very proud of it, thanks to Fowler Creative Online (http://www.fowlercreativeonlineservices.com/).  She has my personal FB page linked to the m.d. Skin FB page.  Well (!) it seemed to me that it was the smartest thing to have them both  (business and personal) promoting m.d. Skin.  In hindsight I should have sent a message to everyone telling them that I was deleting personal contacts and to “re-friend” me if they wanted to stay on my friends contact list.  I didn’t do that and some people are mad, upset, whatever you want to call it.  Most people, in fact, simply sent a new friend request and all is well.  Some, however, won’t speak to me because of “de-friending.” Really?  Over Facebook? 

Here’s something interesting relating to that . . . last year my FB was hacked into and my FB was shut down BY FACEBOOK.  Took about 2 or 3 months to get back up.  I lots just about all my FB friends.  Not a single person got mad.  I did get lots of questions like, “What happened?  I thought we were already friends.”  “Hey!  did you delete me?”  But most  just send another friend request without any questions or comments. 

The silliness of some people is just amazing!  Losing real friends because of Facebook communications is beyond reason!  Sounds more like an excuse if you ask me.  What do you think? Starting a new business is stressful enough without this added drama.00424427

You will find people that will support and encourage you through thick and thin.  I have been so surprised and thrilled by some people that I never expected to, that have become wonderful clients.  I have also met some interesting and delightful new people as a result of m.d. Skin.  It’s just so darn sad to learn that there are some people you thought were loyal and true friends that just aren’t there for you.  I guess really that the saying “That’s life!” is true.  Live and learn.  It does hurt though, I won’t lie!  I think that this is personal growth . . . at it’s finest.

My goal is to offer the absolute best skincare in a personal and individual way, in a fresh, relaxing and clean environment, with integrity and commitment to each client that visits my practice.  I commit to trying my utmost to exceed expectations every time.  Change is positive and inevitable.  The question is, “When?”   I want to make good, healthy decisions regarding my business, my family, my life. 

The good thing is that no decisions have to be made today.  Thank goodness!  These are some of my thoughts today . . . just another day in my life!

1 comment:

  1. Tell the peeps that you didn't de-friend them, you just needed to close your "Facebook Business Group" and start your "Facebook Business Page" because you are GROWING and that's a GOOD thing! :)

    ReplyDelete

  Spa 131  news & updates January 2021  | Monthly Specials Be sure to check our on-line menu to see our specials each month. January 202...